Daniel Alan Fleming
132 Cottontail Lane
Nederland, CO. 80466-9726
A veteran technology professional with experience managing operations teams
for large websites, building a security team, leading PCI-DSS and SOX
compliance, overseeing data center consolidations and migrations, planning
and tracking IT budgets, and architecting large network infrastructures.
I have a demonstrated track record in technology planning and execution to
meet strategic business goals. Excellent relationship management and
problem solving abilities. Core strengths include:
- Information Security
- Data Security Standards Compliance
- Data Center Operations
- Website Administration
- Operations Team Management
- Network Architecture
- Budget Management
HomeAdvisor, Golden, CO 2012 - 2017
Director, Technical Operations: I managed the operations team
responsible for all the equipment running the HomeAdvisor website, as well
the multi-site WAN/LAN network infrastructure for the entire company.
I oversaw massive infrastructure upgrades and implementation of new
technology during a time of explosive growth that resulted in an order
of magnitude growth in revenue. I balanced multiple simultaneous priorities
including improving stability, increasing scalability, dramatically
tightening security, adopting exciting new technologies and processes,
uplifting legacy equipment and planning for disaster recovery. In addition
to managing a highly technical team of engineers I also managed multiple
external vendors, calculated the Operations team's annual capital budget
and was the IT compliance officer for PCI-DSS and SOX for the entire
Technology organization. At times I also oversaw the configuration
management responsibility, handled network architecture duties, covered
as lead Network and Security engineer and done project management for
some large infrastructure projects. Highlights included:
Time Warner Cable ATG (previously MystroTV), Broomfield, CO 2002 - 2011
Director, Lab Support: Managed support team of 14 engineers overseeing
a cutting-edge R&D data center supporting Time Warner Cable video
organization's software development, test and field support operations. The
team was responsible for doing the specification, design and support of the
development lab infrastructure, providing tier IV field support and doing
hardware architecture for deployed products. Equipment used includes multiple
Scientific Atlanta headends, Motorola headends, Video-on-Demand servers,
ISA-complaint subsystems, Switched Digital Video systems, OCAP infrastructure,
Cable modem/DSG infrastructure, over 100 Sun enterprise servers, over 300 Linux
servers, a multi-layer network with more than 30 Brocade, Foundry, Cisco and
Riverstone routers as well as many more pieces of equipment specific to the
cable TV industry.
- Completed three PCI-DSS ROCs.
- A comprehensive re-design and upgrade of the entire network infrastructure including LAN, WAN, firewalls, load balancers, VPN and wireless.
- Complete re-design and upgrade of the website server infrastructure including physical to virtual migration, hybrid-cloud integration and accomplishing both SOX and PCI compliance.
- Successfully planning and executing a data center consolidation with no production downtime, as well as doing a data center migration to move infrastructure into a larger space.
- Oversaw the public website transition during a rebranding of the company.
- Created a dedicated security position and architected the initial SIEM/IDS/monitoring infrastructure.
Infobeat (www.infobeat.com), Denver, CO 2001
Senior System Administrator: Responsible for designing and implementing
an email/web network including security, network infrastructure, hardware
selection, vendor negotiation and system standards. Part of three person team
responsible for managing existing Infobeat web site including backups, system
monitoring, firewall and network security and development environment.
- Designed, built, staffed and operated $20 million dollar 5,000 sq ft
cable TV industry data center. Created specifications including calculating
space, power, air conditioning and cabling requirements.
- Designed, built, staffed and operated a $5 million dollar, 1,000 sq ft
cable TV industry data center.
- Coordinated two building moves with no outages or loss of productivity.
Oversaw the build-out of office space, working with architects, general
contractors, sub-contractors, cabling vendors, leasing company and legal
- Responsible for managing all vendor relationships for the lab.
- Managing a multi-million dollar CapEx and OpEX budget.
- Managed design and implementation of hardware virtualization project
tasked with developing next generation solution to deploy into Regional data
- Responsible for specification, vendor selection, pricing and purchase
for all data center equipment.
Mancala, Inc (aka WordOfMouth.com), Boulder, CO 2000
Sr. System Administrator and Operations Manager: Responsible for
support of all office equipment, the development environment and the planning,
deployment and administration of the web site. The site was 100% Sun/Solaris,
Foundry load balancer and networking equipment, Oracle running on Network
Appliance NFS filers, Netscreen Firewall, Cisco routers, Apache web servers
and Vignette middleware.
- Designed system and network architecture to support next generation email
MapQuest (www.mapquest.com), Denver, CO 1999 - 2000
Contract Senior Unix System Administrator: One of five tasked with
Systems Administrator, Network Administrator and Webmaster duties for the
MapQuest web site. Responsible for maintaining all the servers, networking
equipment and software necessary to run the site.
- Responsible for evaluation, contract negotiation and purchase of all
server and network hardware.
- Designed and implemented website network and security architecture.
- Developed website management procedures, maintenance plans and
- Led Installation Checkpoint Firewall-1 firewall.
- Led evaluation of F5 Labs Big/IP and Foundry ServerIron load balancer
- Managed Sun and Linux server hardware, Cisco routers and 3Com switches.
Additional Related Experience:
TCI Careertrack, Boulder, CO
US West, Denver, CO
AT&T Tridom, Marietta, GA
Security Equipment/Services: Palo Alto firewalls; Cisco ASA firewalls;
Checkpoint firewalls; Tenable Nessus scanner; Rapid7 Nexpose PCI scanner;
Trustwave TrustKeeper; Tripwire FIM; SumoLogic; LogRhythm;
Applications: Jenkins; Puppet; Sendmail; named/DNS; mailman mailing
list management; Apache/httpd web server; Veritas NetBackup; Amanda backup;
nagios monitoring; some Oracle administration; ELK.
Network Equipment/Services: Juniper routers and switches running
JunOS; Cisco routers and switches running IOS; F5 BigIP load balancers;
Brocade/Foundry routers, switches and load balancers; Solidfire NAS;
Brocade SAN switches; Network Appliance NFS filers; Solarwinds; Network
Instruments network sniffers.
Platforms: Virtually all flavors of unix, including Redhat / CentOS
Linux, Solaris, HPux and AIX. Systems virtualization with both VMWare and
Redhat KVM. Cloud computing with Amazon Web Services (AWS). Also familiar
with both Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh.
Georgia State University: Completed 2 years toward BA Philosophy/Religion.
Georgia Institute of Technology: Completed 3 years toward BS Information and
Return to Alan's Home Page
Alan Fleming firstname.lastname@example.org